Financial Support Available for Local Flood Victims

The Queensland government is offering financial assistance to Moreton Bay locals who were impacted by severe flooding.

Mayor Peter Flannery said residents of hard-hit areas including Beachmere, Deception Bay, Burpengary and Burpengary East can now apply for financial assistance and support services.

“These Emergency Hardship Assistance grants give up to $180 per person and $900 for a family of five or more to support residents experiencing financial hardship as a result of this flooding,” Mayor Flannery said. “This is a new offer, in addition to what was provided back in February, so if floods hit you in recent days you’re eligible again.

“It’s to help cover the costs of essential items, such as food, medication and clothing, for people who have been directly impacted by this disaster. The State Government will be reaching out directly to some people, focussing specifically on properties along Beachmere Road and Riversleigh Road. Please get online to check your eligibility and apply as soon as you can”.

Minister for Communities and Housing, Leeanne Enoch also encouraged Moreton Bay locals to get online and apply for the government assistance that’s available.

“This is another significant flooding event only weeks after devastating floods hit the south-east,” Ms Enoch said.  “Over the past couple of days we’ve seen properties and businesses inundated by floodwaters again. Other grants such the Essential Household Contents Grant, Structural Assistance Grant and Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Grant, which are income tested, are also available to eligible residents who are uninsured and have experienced certain loss or damage following this disaster. Emotional and psychosocial support is also available through our non-government partners, to help people through their recovery.”

Financial assistance is available under jointly-funded Commonwealth/State-Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

To apply for grants and find more information:

Additionally, anyone impacted by the flood event can apply for housing assistance, including homeowners and private renters, by visiting or calling 13QGOV (13 74 68).

Recent Posts

See All

I first met Bribie Island’s Heinrich van Rensburg, a couple of weeks ago through my dear Dalmatian, Bertie. But let’s get the background to this story sorted out first. It all started a little after B