There are so many benefits of regular exercise, both physical and mental. The big question is “How do you fix the issues that stop us exercising more regularly or more consistently?” (especially in these darker, colder months).
There is one simple solution: ‘Train With a Buddy’. There have been numerous studies that show the benefits of training with a buddy, and they’ve all concluded that it’s a great way to keep up consistency and achieve goals faster.
Training with a buddy, be that a friend, partner or family member, will open a whole new world of possibilities for your consistency and motivation. So we’d like to share with you six key benefits of training with a buddy:
1. Get More from Your Workout – When you have your buddy to push you, and you them, then you will both benefit from that extra percent of effort and output. It may be because of the additional encouragement or maybe a competitive streak, but whatever works, this will see you getting those goals faster from that extra set, that extra 5kg, that extra km you both run!
2. Accountability – When there is a buddy who is counting on you to make that session on a cold night, or a time when your motivation is low, you are far less likely to pull out at the last minute. Locking in a time to train will also help, as opposed to a loose plan like “Let’s head to the gym over the weekend at some stage”. Lock it in, confirm it and don’t be late! The benefits to you and your buddy will be great!
3. Give it a Go or You Just Won’t Know! – Always wanted to try that X-Cell Class or Boot Camp, but have never had the confidence just to jump on in and give it a go? With a buddy you have that familiar face to give you the confidence to try new thing. Before you know it, you have eight more new buddies and suddenly you’ve opened up a whole new aspect to your gym and your training.
4. Sharing Is Caring! – It’s hard to argue that sharing an activity or experience with a buddy is more fun than on your own. The same can be said for heading to the gym. Sharing Is Caring, and no more so than when you are knuckling down and achieving goals with another person.
5. Safety First – If you love your strength training then training with a buddy will create a safer environment for you, especially if you want to push yourself that little bit harder. Having a buddy means you have a permanent spotter to help you punch through that last few reps as you push towards your personal best.
6. Cheaper Personal Training! – Maybe you’ve always wanted to try personal training but shy away because the budget is a bit tight this month, or you don’t feel comfortable. Well, with a buddy it’s always worth asking the personal trainers to train you together, allowing you to split the cost of the session. Most will, and this will help you both to learn new techniques and accelerate the achievement of your goals.
Check out your local gym, Plus Fitness Ningi, for a free gym pass for you and your buddy! Call (07) 3180 4558 to reserve.
Ingredients (Recipe yields 10 servings)
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup natural peanut butter
⅓ cup honey
¼ cup chopped dark chocolate
2 tablespoons flax seeds
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 tablespoon chocolate-flavoured protein powder, or to taste
Step 1: Stir oats, peanut butter, honey, chocolate, flax seeds, chia seeds, and protein powder together in a bowl until evenly mixed. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Scoop chilled mixture into balls. Keep cold until serving.
Chocolate Protein Balls
Servings Per Recipe: 10 Calories: 187.7
Dietary Fiber: 3.2g
Saturated Fat: 1.8g9
Niacin Equivalents: 3.3mg
Vitamin B6: 0.1mg
Vitamin C: 0.3mg
Calcium: 30.1mg 3